Sunday, February 27, 2022

Groundhog Day

 

Its Groundhog day everyday, If you don't remember, Groundhog day was a movie released in 1993 starring Bill Murray. In the movie due to mysterious circumstances Bill Murray is put in a time loop to experience the same day over and over again. Its a comedy so if you have nothing to do this weekend please watch it, it's one of my favorites. In the movie Bill Murray who portrays the character of  Phil Connors a cold hearted man completely out of sync with existence  is taken on a life changing journey by making him relive the same day over and over again. I kind of feel the same way, like life has got to a point it feels like I'm reliving the same day over and over again. An endless loop until death, wake up brush, eat get to work, get back home, exercise and then go to sleep. We are stuck in loops of time doing the exact same thing but unlike Phil Conners we age. And unlike the movie we have several loops overlapping each other. When a baby is born, it doesn't even know what it is, the baby is always observing and absorbing this simulation or reality we call life. The best part is it takes a while for the baby to understand that he or she too is human and then not just a human but a male or female human and so forth slowing starting to decode this simulation, this mysterious outer environment it sees through his baby eyes often confused but fixated to the curiosity he builds to discover and understand everything in his environment. 

What is the meaning of all this? Why are we here? All of us, alone, on this planet with no sign of life out there in the universe. Even the animal and plant kingdoms, the flora and fauna follow time cycles, some migrate when season changes, some hibernate, the plants bear fruit seasonally. A strange pattern embedded in all life form which we follow like an instinct within us not knowing why we are doing this and what if there is another way. Year in and year out its the same cycle, a repeating time loop and we follow through them with the same set of actions. Are we meant to learn something like Phil Conners or are we here just to exist as we are. Maybe we aren't seeing past this illusion, it's almost like we are hypnotized to follow this pattern of living like a zombie aging and withering away slowly in time. What would happen, I wonder if we break these cycles? Will the illusion be lifted? What will we experience then? Will a new simulation come to existence? I sometimes feel this is all a test, it must be right? As I lay my head on my pillow everyday at night I wonder if this will all make sense before my death. Because I'm just doing the same thing over and over again, maybe I would have earned a few promotions or succeeded in life as I planned or maybe the contrary. What ever it is I still need to lay my head on that same pillow every night wakeup the next day and do the same things I did yesterday until its the last night I'll ever exist on this planet. 

I wonder what that would be like? Will I know if it's my last night or will I go to bed thinking "I'll wake up" another day. And what if I do wake up the next day but never have the opportunity to lay my head again on my pillow the following night. I wonder what that experience would be like, I wonder if I would know if I was going to die, what will I do that day? And if I didn't know, how will I react when death comes knocking at my door? Will I be alone when it happens? Will it pain? Will all the time I had as this person in a body with a name having lived a life, that felt like, I lived the same day over and over until my death, make any sense to me. Will it? In spite of all the success I would have amassed and the recognitions I have won, do you think it will matter when I die or will it give me a sense of satisfaction and pride that I have lived my life well. If you could take back all the time lost how do you think you will relive it all again. What does this all mean, is it part of a bigger plan that we don't see or is it all just what it is. Maybe it's so obvious and the truth is sitting under our noses. What if the truth was so simple and freeing but something the ego cannot bear, maybe that's the reason we clinch on to our belief's so we feel important in a world that brutally judges, a world that is waiting to dissect you and expose you're guts so their individual ego's feel safe and superior. 

Children are the best example to how to live this life, all they want to do is play. They can't wait for the next day to come, even if its the same things they will do as the previous day, for them in their little minds, life feels like a new experience each day and they want to experience a little more each day with an undying enthusiasm with no care of the world as they are lost in their imagination experiencing life in a linear fashion. Since they enjoy each moment of the experience time itself behaves like it's happening in a linear direction being completely unaware of its cyclic nature. This is the secret of life to live like children and experience life as one giant game and play it with such enthusiasm your mundane loop of a cyclic existence disappears. If you don't see life as something beautiful or an awe inspiring event that is happening, you will wither and age fast and you become a bitter person just doing what is meant to be done to just exist. And what a huge difference of an experience does the above 2 scenarios make with only a shift in ones attitude. I also strongly believe that there is a reason you are here experiencing this life, all this does mean something, it will hit you hard one day and then suddenly you will realize the meaning of all this madness that sometimes feels pointless. Everything is a perspective, if you think this existence as a dreadful one then that is what you'll experience, if you see it as a beautiful one then in  the beauty you will marvel. 

2 comments:

In My Silence

I've been looking for you, you who I've been staring at the mirror But every time I think I'm close you only seem more distant t...